New operating models for local government
After reading the publication by Jenni Lloyd, Programme Manager at NESTA on New Operating Models for Local Government and blogging my reflections, I invited her to share their reflections at the London Policy & Strategy Network on how what councils could learn from this, which you can see in the video above. We then broke out into groups:
What’s needed to make the new operating models to become mainstream?
- Strong leadership
- Political buy in
- Resource to dual run
- Engagement and communication
- Cultural change
- Looking ahead and taking the time to plan to get things right
- Risk friendly & agile governance
- Viewing the financial situation in a different light to only focusing on where cuts can be made
- Wider acceptance and knowledge of complex systems, i.e. outcomes are emergent properties of system vs specifically attributable to intervention
- Becoming the norm
How could we accelerate that happening?
- Community of practice for support as you’ve bringing in new operating models
- Start somewhere, go everywhere! I’m looking to speak with different colleagues and stakeholders
- Find out where the ‘energy’ is to do things differently, and start there initially
- Make people curious!
- Demonstrating effective outputs
- Structure change
- Learn from the voluntary & community sector