The London Policy & Strategy Network is delighted to welcome Democratic Society.
Since 2020 Democratic Society has been part of Beyond The Rules, a cross-sector project working outside local government to see how third sector community and volunteer organisations are “doing” governance and sharing power more equally in their work.
Governance is about the rules which dictate how we organise, decide to use resources, and work together in highly variable societies. Every third sector organisation, from unions to universities to place-based community organisations, is consciously or unconsciously tangling with governance issues. And though in the third sector people come together to “do good”, their governance is often weakened by exclusionary hierarchical structures, opaque decision making, and power struggles which mirror the very systems these groups seek to disrupt. Together, these things weaken communities and potential for wider system cooperation and change.
So what does better governance look like — beyond government — and what does it enable? We’ll share practical examples from our work across Europe. Then we’ll turn the microphone to the group: what examples are you seeing in your local associations, unions, and volunteer and community sector organisations?
This is part of a series of Beyond The Rules learning events Demsoc are co-hosting in 2022.
Help shape the London Policy & Strategy Network
If you want would like to share ideas on themes and speakers for next year’s sessions, if you’ve got 5 minutes, grab a cuppa and fill in this short survey.
You can find other sessions coming up here.
You can see other videos from the London Policy & Strategy Network sessions below
- Introducing the London Research & Policy Partnership
- Applying community insights into policy
- How to do peer learning
- Local government 2030
- Discover the People’s Budget
- Putting doughnut economics into practice
- How do we develop relational services
- Implementing the socio-economic duty
- Developing child-friendly communities
- Riding the waves — strengthening organisational resilience
- Developing the Inclusive Enterprise Zone
- Launch of the London Poverty Profile
- What can we expect from the Comprehensive Spending Review
- How do we drive corporate improvement
- Making a doughnut for London
- Health on the high street
- Owning the future: taking a community wealth building approach
- Imagination by design
- Cities as Platforms
- Communities driving change
- Developing a community endowment fund
- What are the future scenarios for London
- How do we mobilise cross-cutting groups & team to navigate change together
- How do we navigate uncertainty while trying to shift systems
- Portfolio approaches to blending strategy & experimentation
- Long term view across generations
- Cross-organisational collaboration
- Radical visions of government
- New operating models
- Council & university collaboration
- Relationship makers
- Capabilities in policy engagement
- Scenarios for civil society
- Tools to influence and drive change in public services
- Learning through the pandemic
- Develop challenge-based prizes
- Discover policy Innovations from across the world